You are here
Places of Interest (POIs)
This page displays summary information for selected places in York (England) that might be of interest to sightseeing visitors. Please note that this website is still in the early stages of development, so there are lots of potentially interesting places 'missing' from the database. However, additional places, photographs and articles, will be uploaded as and when time permits.
Number 49-51 Goodramgate (York) dates from circa 1500. The "Wealden Hall" to the rear (in Powell's Yard) is a building style rarely found outside Kent / Sussex.
Arcade of former Archbishops' Palace aka the Kohima Memorial
This attractive magnesian limestone wall in Dean's Park once formed part of an arcade associated with the 12th century palace used by the Archbishops of York. Read more
The Artist's Garden in York is a pleasant outdoor space designed specifically to display temporary art installations and to host occassion outdoor arts events. Read more
York Castle has been used to dispense 'justice' for almost 1,000 years. The Assize Courts Building in the inner-bailey was constructed between 1773 and 1777. Read more
Built in phases from c1360 onwards, Barley Hall has been a hostel for the Priors of Nostell Priory, the home of a wealthy York goldsmith and a plumber's yard.
The intriguing advertisement for "Bile Beans" is a 'ghost sign' on the side wall of a house at the junction of Lord Mayor's Walk and Monkgate, near Monk Bar. Read more
The Blue Bridge is a manually-operated double-leaf bascule footbridge across Browney Dyke (a section of the Foss Navigation near the River Ouse in York). Read more
From 1875 until 1958, the Bonding Warehouse was used by York Corporation to store imported goods that were subject to Excise duty. It is now flats and offices.
Bootham Bar was built in the 12th century to protect the city's western entrance. It now forms a key access point for the northern section of York's Wall Walk.
Castle Mills Bridge was built in 1955 and 1956 to carry Tower Street (part of York's Inner Ring Road) across the River Foss (aka the Foss Navigation). Read more
Castle Mills Lock (York) is 34 metres long x 6 metres wide. It was built in 1796, widened in 1889 and is now the only operational lock on the Foss Navigation. Read more
Clifford's Tower (a.k.a. 'the King's Tower' or 'the Great Tower') is the keep of York Castle. Its 'quadrilobate' (four-lobed) design is unique in England. Read more
Coffee Yard is a narrow, low-headroom passageway linking Stonegate with Grape Lane in the medieval streets area of York. It has a delightful central courtyard.
Coppergate Walk and St Mary's Square are relatively recent additions to York's modern shopping area, opening to the public in 1984. Read more
These interpretive cross-sections through the ramparts of York's city defences show how the size and shape of the earth bank evolved over time. Read more
Cumberland House is the oldest surviving commercial riverside building in York. It was built circa 1710 by William Cornwell as his townhouse and warehouse. Read more
Dean's Park is part of the Minster Close. For centuries the area was the residence of the Archbishop of York, but it is now managed as a delightful public park.
The Deanery is the private residence of the Dean of York Minster. The Dean is responsible for the day to day running of the Minster. Read more
The Debtors' Prison was built in the attractive 'English Baroque' style between 1701 and 1705. Originally the County Gaol, it is now part of York Castle Museum. Read more
Duncombe Place was created between 1859 and 1864 when the southeast side of Little Blake Street was demolished to open-up views of York Minster's west front.
The Edible Wood is a small publicly accessible (wheelchair-friendly) garden in central York. It is dedicated to plants containing at least one edible component. Read more
Exhibition Square was created in 1879 to provide a pleasant public space between Bootham Bar and York's new art gallery. It has an attractive fountain. Read more
The 'Eye of York' is a small oval of grass in the middle of York Castle's inner bailey. It was previously known as 'Castle Yard', then the 'Eye of the Ridings'. Read more