You are here

Castle Mills Bridge

Castle Mills Bridge was built in 1955 and 1956 to carry Tower Street (part of York's Inner Ring Road) across the River Foss (aka the Foss Navigation).

The southern carriageways of the road lie on the approximate alignment of the dam that was built in the eleventh century to raise the level of the River Foss in order to flood the defensive moat / ditches around York Castle. This dam created the King's Fishpond.

The text on the commemorative plaque reads:

CASTLE MILLS BRIDGE
THIS BRIDGE OF WIDTH 64 FEET
AND SPAN 35 FEET WAS ERECTED IN 1956
TO REPLACE THE OLD MASONRY BRIDGE
AND WAS OPENED ON THE 23RD NOVEMBER 1956
BY
THE RIGHT HON. HUGH MOLSEN, M.P.,
JOINT PARLIAMENTARY SECRETARY
MINISTRY OF TRANSPORT AND CIVIL AVIATION.

Practical Information

Cost Category (Categories)

Location Information (Where is . . . ?)

Castle Mills Bridge
Tower Street
York

 
Coordinates
Latitude: 53.954420000000
Longitude: -1.077846000000

View this location on an interactive map.

The bridge carries four lanes of traffic (two in each direction separated by a concrete trough central reservation). It is invariably busy with traffic and can be difficult (and dangerous) to cross.