You are here

College Green Sundial

The centre-piece of College Green is a circular stone seat with a fluted Doric column rising through the centre, topped by a cubical sundial.

The seat is supported by four carved stone 'lions couchants' (the lions are depicted in a lying position, with the head raised and the legs tucked close to and below the body).

The sundial was created in 1730 and was originally located in the grounds of Drakelowe Hall in south Derbyshire. The Hall was demolished in 1934 and, in the 1950s, a power station was built on the site.

The Friends of York Minster purchased the sundial in 1955 and gave it a new home on College Green.

The sundial is now Grade II listed and it is a popular place to sit and relax on a warm sunny day.

Practical Information

Cost Category (Categories)

Location Information (Where is . . . ?)

College Green Sundial
College Green
York

 
Coordinates
Latitude: 53.962077000000
Longitude: -1.080171000000

View this location on an interactive map.