The memorial garden is permanently open to the public, but the intended peace and tranquility are somewhat diminished these days by the noise (and pollution) from the nearby busy main roads.
You are here
Leeman Road War Memorial Garden
This small formal garden between Leeman Road and the River Ouse was created to provide a pleasant contemplative setting for York's main war memorial.
The garden is mainly laid to lawn, with formal pathways and flower beds. There are a few mature trees around the perimieter (to add height and interest), but the central area has an open feel, which draws the eye to the focal point of the garden, namely the war memorial itself. This 10 metre tall structure was constructed entirely from Portland Stone to a design by Sir Edwin Landseer Lutyens. It was unveiled to the public during a formal ceremony on June 25th 1925 and it now includes two separate inscriptions.:
On the face nearest the railway station:
1914 – 1918
1939 – 1945.
On the opposite face (nearest to the river):
The nearby gates (with Portland Stone piers) were also designed by Lutyens.
The memorial and gates are Grade II listed.