You are here
The grade II listed red-brick building known as 'River House' was built in 1868 as club rooms and offices for 'The Yorkshire Club' *. It had its own boathouse.
The building was designed by London-based architect C.J. Parnell, whose design portfolio includes 133-134 Aldersgate Street (an Italianate style bank building in the Charterhouse Square area of London).
The building's exterior retains it original cast-iron railings (facing Museum Street) and the original sandstone balustraded terrace supported by cast iron columns (facing the river - see Image 1) and it features prominently in photographs taken from one of the most popular (and most photogenic) sections of the Wall Walk (see Image 2).
The building's interior retains many of its original features including tiled floors and oak panelled walls.
* 'The Yorkshire Club' was established in 1839 at number 5 St Leonard's Place and it merged with 'The Yorkshire Union Hunt Club' in 1856. 'The Yorkshire Club' offered a home-away-from home for the county's nobility and 'well-to-do' and, by 1869, it had became so popular that a new purpose-built clubhouse was needed. A site beside the River Ouse was chosen for the new building (now known as River House) as it facilitated easy access for members with riverside homes. The Club's waterfront area is now the site of Lendal Boatyard.