The royal coat of arms of King Henry V (1406 - 1422) has been set into the stonework on the southeast elevation of the main gateway building (see Image B1). This suggests that the structure may have been repaired or further modified during this period.
The structure was damaged by fire during the 'Yorkshire Rebellion' of 1489.
The surviving pair of oak gates (one of which contains a wicket door - see Image B2) are bellieved to date from the 15th century.
The rear of the structure was significantly modified during the 16th century (circa 1585) when the building was converted into a house / lodging for the local constabulary. The timber-framed rear portion (see Image 3) is believed to date from this period.
In 1644, the structure was damaged by cannon fire during the Civil War 'siege of York'. A series of musket ball holes / bullet holes can still be seen in the Bar's stonework, as can a noticable dip in the north-eastern wall of the barbican. Significant repairs were carried between 1645 and 1648.
During the last decade of the 18th century, John Browne (who became well known as an artist and historian for York Minster) was born in - and grew-up living in - the residential quarters on the first and second floors of Walmgate Bar. For further information, see the background article 'A brief introduction to John Browne and his illustrations of York Minster'.
As proclaimed by an inscribed panel set into the gatehouse wall (see Image B3), the structure was 'restored' in 1840. The adjacent large archway through the city wall (not visible in the images above) was created in 1861-2 to speed-up the flow of traffic into and out of the city. The structure was rennovated again in both 1959 and 2015.