The tower's exterior is clearly visible from Tower Street.
You are here
York Castle Inner Bailey South Angle Tower
The South Angle Tower forms part of the perimeter defences for York Castle's inner bailey. It was built in the thirteenth century on the orders of Henry III.
14th century documents refer to this structure as "the tower in the angle towards the mills".
The tower is circular in plan, although the thick vertical stone wall with battered (sloping) base only encloses three quarters of the circle. (A much thinner, straight wall encloses the fourth quarter.)
When built, the tower's exterior wall included at least three arrow slits at ground floor level (with more at first floor level) and crenellations alongside a wall-top walkway. These features are partially visible in a sketch of York Castle produced by Francis Place in 1699, but they have been removed / infilled at some point since that date. However, a lone oillet (the circular 'eye' or termination point often found at the end of arrow slits) can still be seen in one of the stone blocks visible in Image 1. (Tip: click / tap on the thumbnail image to view a larger version, then carefully examine the stonework in the central area of the tower's wall.)