You are here

York Castle South Gate Foundations and Drawbridge Pit

The only remains of York Castle's 14th century south gate are the foundations and part of the 12 feet deep drawbridge pit. The rest was demolished circa 1701-8.

York Castle's south gate was constructed during the 13th century, at the same time as Clifford's Tower and the inner bailey walls.

The south gate is believed to have remained in use until the middle of the 16th century. It was blocked-up either before or during the Civil War.

The gateway was demolished at some point between 1701 and 1708 to facilitate the building of a new County Gaol (the building now known as the Debtors' Prison). However, the gatehouse foundations and part of the drawbridge pit are still visible and they are best viewed from nearby Tower Street.

Some of the stone from the demolition of the gatehouse was used to infill the gap in the inner bailey wall and the join is still clearly visible in Image 1 (slightly to the left of the Debtor's Prison clock tower).

Practical Information

Cost Category (Categories)

Location Information (Where is . . . ?)

York Castle south gate foundations and drawbridge pit
Tower Street
York

 
Coordinates
Latitude: 53.954700000000
Longitude: -1.078607000000

View this location on an interactive map.