You are here
1.1: The owner of this website respects your right to privacy under English law. With this in mind, the owner of this website strives to protect your personal information and to use that information only in a manner that is both transparent and fair.
1.2: To protect user privacy and secure user-related data, ALL of the webpages associated with this website (and those served by PayPal during the PayPal payment process) are served using SSL encryption by default (i.e. the page URLs begin with https:, not http:).
1.3: When this website is used, both 'Personally Identifiable Information' and 'Anonymous or Anonymised Information' may be obtained, stored, analysed and (where appropriate) communicated to third-parties insofar as this is necessary to:
- Display content and provide the core functionality of the website including, but not limited to, the 'Favourites' feature, the shopping 'Cart', customer accounts and licensed file-downloads.
- Provide customer support.
- Facilitate the checking and control of licences should this become necessary in order to protect the owner's copyright and source of income.
- Protect the integrity and security of the website and its content via the retention, analysis and, where absolutely necessary, the evidentiary use of both personalised and anonymised data.
- Improve the performance of the website via the analysis of anonymised data.
- Assess the absolute and relative popularity of specific features, products and other items of content in an anonymised manner.
- Identify the approximate location of customers and other users (in an anonymised manner) in order to identify, understand and where possible improve the geographic appeal of this website and its content.
- Measure, assess and (where appropriate) communicate / demonstrate the effectiveness of promotions and sponsored content via the provision of anonymised data to both actual and prospective sponsors.
1.4: However, in all cases the amount of personal information collected, stored and used is and will be kept to the absolute minimum level necessary to accomplish these objectives.
2: General notes regarding the use and disclosure of Personally Identifiable Information
2.1: Unless disclosure is required for law-enforcement or financial reporting purposes or for the control or protection of intellectual property rights, Personally Identifiable Information will NOT knowingly be made available to anyone other than the owner and administrator(s) of this website and PayPal (the latter only as part of the payment record).
2.2: The owner of this website will not use, or permit others to use, Personally Identifiable Information to promote special offers or for any other form of marketing activity.
2.3: This website does NOT and will not use any form of targeted or behavioural advertising. In other words, where advertisements are included on a page, the same advertisements are served to all users.
3: Personal information stored / processed on this website's server
3.1: IP addresses
3.1.1: When a user 'browses' (i.e. opens) any page on this website, the user's full IP address is automatically obtained by the server and stored in an Access Log. This is a fundamental part of the way that the internet works and it cannot be altered by the owner of this website. The Access Logs are downloaded from the server by the owner of this website on a regular basis, then briefly reviewed prior to being stored in a secure manner in case they are needed for:
trouble-shooting purposes (e.g. to help track-down technical or coding problems), or for
evidentiary purposes (e.g. for investigations into fraud, copyright infringements, denial of service attempts, spam generation, or other illegal or otherwise antisocial web behaviour).
3.1.2: Full IP address information is also recorded separately in transaction records:
- When a purchase is made.
- When a licensed file is downloaded or a download attempt is made.
- When a webform relating to a purchase or a sponsorship enquiry is completed and submitted.
3.1.3: This information is linked to the user's account name and e-mail address and it forms an integral and essential part of the sale transaction (and the associated licensing process) or the webform submission process.
3.1.4: Partial IP address information (anonymised by two bits) is also recorded by the Google Analytics service to facilitate management analysis (i.e. items 'e' to 'h' in the list of uses stated in the Introduction). The owner of this website MAY make a relevant selection of the anonymised and aggregated analytics information available to actual and prospective sponsors in order to demonstrate the potential for and / or the effectiveness of advertising and promotional activities relating to this website. However, this anonymised and aggregated analytics information does not contain any 'Personally Identifiable Information'.
3.2: Device-related information
3.2.1: When this website is used, details of the user's device, operating system and browser are recorded by the Google Analytics service to facilitate management analysis (i.e. items 'e' to 'h' in the list of uses stated in the Introduction). The owner of this website MAY make a relevant selection of the anonymised and aggregated analytics information available to actual and prospective sponsors in order to demonstrate the potential for and / or the effectiveness of advertising and promotional activities relating to this website. However, this anonymised and aggregated analytics information does not contain any 'Personally Identifiable Information'.
3.3: Customer e-mail address and account details
3.3.1: When making a purchase from this website, the purchaser is asked to provide the following personal information:
- Purchaser's e-mail address: This forms an integral part of each York Illustrated account and it must be a valid e-mail address that can be accessed by the purchaser. It is used for all correspondence relating to the purchaser's account and the associated purchases. If a second or subsequent purchase is made from this website, the e-mail address will be used to attach the new order to the existing York Illustrated account. The purchaser can review and, if necessary amend, the e-mail address linked with an existing account by logging-in and using the 'Edit' tab. Please note that e-mail is NOT a secure means of communication and that, despite its legal classification as personal information, an e-mail address is for all practical purposes public domain information. It is impossible to protect an e-mail address (or the contents of an unencrypted e-mail) when using the ubiquitous public (open) e-mail system.
3.3.2: When a purchaser confirms payment for the first order, a personal York Illustrated account is created automatically. This generates the following personal information:
- Account username and password: A username and temporary (randomly generated) password are automatically created by the system for each new customer account. Details of the username and temporary password are automatically sent by e-mail to the purchaser, along with the order-confirmation / sales invoice. During the first log-in process, the user is asked to change the temporary password (just in case the e-mail was intercepted). The purchaser can reset the password and / or update the e-mail address at any time by logging-in to the York Illustrated account, then using the 'Edit' tab to access the account details. Under this website's Terms and Conditions of Use, the purchaser must NOT disclose the user name or associated password to any other individual or organisation or otherwise allow any other individual or organisation to access the user account or to download any file(s) assigned to that user account.
3.4: Product details for purchased items (licenses)
3.4.1: When a purchase is made, full details of the order (including the items purchased) are associated with the relevant customer account. This is necessary to allow purchasers to view / review details of their order(s) and to enable the owner of this website to provide customer support relating to those orders.
3.5: Download information for licensed files
3.5.1: When a purchase is made, details of the licensed file(s) are associated with the relevant customer account. This is necessary to allow purchasers to download their files and to enable the owner of this website to provide customer support relating to those file-downloads. The number of attempts to download each file and the IP address used for each attempt are also recorded and permanently stored. This is necessary to facilitate the checking and control of licences and to protect the owner's copyright and source of income.
3.6.1: Digital and / or paper copies of correspondence relating to the operation of this website will be retained securely by the owner of this website and / or his agents for as long as is deemed necessary / prudent. In order to comply with UK tax legislation, correspondence relating to financial transactions will need to be retained for at least seven years. When historic correspondence is no longer required, it will be destroyed or disposed of in a secure manner. Where practicable, all such correspondence will be either electronically or physically shredded.
4: Personal information stored / processed on the PayPal server
4.1: When an order is 'Submitted', the purchaser is transferred automatically from the York Illustrated server to an encrypted (https) payment page on the PayPal server. As part of this transfer, the following information is supplied by this website to PayPal:
- Purchaser's E-mail address: The purchaser's e-mail address is made available to PayPal as an integral part of the order details and the subsequent financial transaction. It is also used by PayPal to pre-populate the e-mail address field in the PayPal login section as this can significantly speed-up the login process if the purchaser has a PayPal account.
- Order Summary: Details of the order, including the product description, SKU (item number), file format / image size (options), quantity, price and the total amount to be paid are made available to PayPal as an integral part of the order details. This is necessary to allow the purchaser to double check both the order details and the total amount payable before committing to payment. It allows summary details of the order and payment to be stored as part of the purchaser's financial records. Finally, it would assist all parties should a dispute arise. (One of the benefits of using PayPal to process the payment is that they offer an impartial dispute resolution service.)
4.3: During the PayPal payment process, the purchaser will be asked to enter or confirm a 'Billing' Name & Address (i.e. the name and address associated with the payment method being used). After the payment has been made (i.e. after the PayPal 'Pay' button has been clicked / tapped or otherwise operated), PayPal will make the purchaser's name and address information available (in a secure manner) to the owner of this website, along with the order details and the total amount paid. The owner of this website does NOT and will NOT have access to any other personal information relating to the purchaser.
4.4: From time to time, the owner of this website will use an encrypted log-in to download the purchaser's name and address, along with the order details and amount paid. This personal information will be securely stored off-line (i.e. not on a server) for at least seven years. During this time, it will be used to create the license record and for management analysis and financial accounting / reporting. Suitable precautions are and will continue to be taken to prevent unauthorised access to this personal information. If / when this information is no longer needed, it will be disposed of in a secure manner.
5: Cookies and tracking
5.2: With two exceptions, this website does NOT track, or knowingly facilitate the tracking of, users across multiple websites. The exceptions are:
- During checkout, when information is exchanged with PayPal as an integral and essential part of the payment process (see section 4 above).
6: External Links
7: Contact details
7.1: This website operates solely via the internet. If you need to contact the owner of this website, please use the webform on the 'Contact' page.
7.2: Should the need arise, legal documents may be posted or otherwise delivered to the following address:
Please note that this is a PRIVATE residential address. Communications received at this address that are not deemed to be legal documents will be ignored. Uninvited visitors to this address will not be acknowledged or granted any form of access to the premises. These restrictions exist to protect the safety and privacy of the owner and his family.
8: Document review
8.2: This page was last updated on 13th July 2017.